Thursday, February 21, 2013

#003: Jorge Veguilla

Today's EuroViewer profile is the hilarious co-host of the Super Euro Power Hour podcast, Jorge Veguilla. The fun podcast covers all things EDM (including eurobeat, of course!). Enjoy the Q&A from this cool guy!

1. Occupation?
I work for a mortgage company

2. Where are you from? 
Born in Puerto Rico, lived all over the world, currently live by Philadelphia.

3. Tell us about SEPH and how did it come about? 
Well this was a brain child of Javi and Connor. I came into the whole thing later on but ended up being one of the longer serving hosts.

4. What was the most exciting thing that happened on SEPH? 
The interview with Sinclaire, interview with Fausto Guio, and the lunch with Fausto Guio were my favorite moments. Those are moments, memories and stories that will never leave my mind. Fausto Guio is by far one of the funniest people you could ever meet.

5. What is your favorite euro song?
It changes all the time but the one song I can play every time and absolutely love it is Fly to Me to the Moon & Back by The Spiders from Mars, and Go Beat Crazy by Fastway

6. Favorite hyper techno song? 
Techno Rise by Dalindah & Vicious Angel by Cypher hands down are my favorite. They are so energetic and dark feeling!

7. Favorite trance song? 
I’m going to include Hands Up and Cyber Trance into this category; it would probably be The Colour of My Dreams (Jens O. Re-Edit) by Sequenza Meets Megastylez. Just a fun song!

8. Favorite eurobeat studio? Why?
SCP Music. They are very friendly and interactive with their fans and the production value of the label is always very high. Their music is also very infectious and energetic. The variety this label has shown over the years is also a big reason why I love their music.

9. What are your thoughts on the evolution in the sound of Eurobeat over its history?
It’s been a massive change over the years. From disco dance, to 90’s style techno fusion, to the “parapara” style of the 90’s and early 00’s, the “trancebeat” style, the disco house style from the SEB 160-180s, the experimental period from the 190s-220s, to the Eurobeat rebirth of now. It’s pretty incredible if you think about it. I just wish the labels were freer to do their craft but await every new SEB with eager, open arms.

10. What are your thoughts on piracy within the eurobeat community? 
When can piracy be helpful and/or harmful to the genre? Piracy, for better or for worse, built the American Eurobeat community. It’s very rare the person that came into the community not from piracy or heard about the music from someone who didn’t pirate the music. I myself was fortunate enough to live in Okinawa for 4 years and was exposed to Eurobeat from Para Para Paradise but downloaded my first Eurobeat tracks from Napster. I was able to get CDs and was more fortunate in my money situation than others so I kept buying the albums.

The problem now is how fragile the commercial side is to Eurobeat. In some ways, I wish the Eurobeat indy community had more people in it. Outside the releases from Travis and random Toho albums, there isn’t much. I do find the indy community to be the future of Eurobeat and wish the other labels would join with some within the community to release music and such.

11. What would you like to hear/see from the Eurobeat studios in the next few years?
More independent releases outside of Avex; joint projects with each other and with the independent labels.

12. What have been some responses to SEPH?
“This show is hilarious!”, “You guys are a bunch of foul mouthed fanboys”, “Why is Jorge so gross?”, “You guys are awesome!” a mish mosh combination of the above.

13. Physical albums or digital copies? Why?
Digital for me. I hate having clutter around my house and room.

14. To parapara or not? Why?
No. It’s never been my favorite thing about the scene. I’d rather just dance to the music my way and not to some set way.

15. Who in the Eurobeat industry would you like to interview next?
Stefano & Evelina, Ace, Dave Rodgers, Mauro Farina, Morris Capaldi, DJ Command… the list is large definitely.

16. What can we expect in the next year from SEPH?
More Jorge obnoxiousness and Javi attempting to feign interest in Jorge’s responses.

17. What's been looping on your media player lately?
Turbulence by Steve Aoki & Laidback Luke feat. Lil Jon. Simple, aggressive, fun stuff even if it’s from 2011.

18. Guilty pleasure?
Music wise probably 90s bubblegum and Eurodance. Food-wise, pickles. I could eat a jar in one setting. I think I’m going to go buy some too.

19. Anything you want to tell the people in the Euro/Techno scene? 
Let’s get more indy music going! I know there are a lot of you who want to make Eurobeat!

SEPH Blog
SEPH Youtube Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment